Wednesday 9 January 2008

Surely there's a more effective way

I decided on Monday that it was time to sign on, so off I toddled to my local Job Centre. I've only ever done this once before, the last time I came back to the UK. That was five years ago and as far as I can remember I went along to the Job Centre, filled out some forms, had an interview and promised that I'd do my best to find gainful employment (the fact that I ended up working in a Shell Garage is a story for another day).

I imagined that it would be much the same this time but when I got the Job Centre and explained my situation I was given a leaflet and told to phone the number on it. Apparently the good person at the other end of the line would take me through some questions and an interview lasting 40 minutes. Clearly, the Job Centre's idea of an interview and my own differ. The 'interview' was basically some harassed but pleasant woman going through the questions that I'm sure were on the form five years ago, and me saying "yes" or "no." After about twenty minutes of this she then read me the part at the end where you say that you aren't lying and told me that I'd soon receive a copy of the statement we'd just gone through which I'd have to plant my big inky hand print on (because obviously too thick to write my own name). I have to take this statement with me tomorrow when I go back to the Job Centre for my next interview. Can't wait to see how it goes.

No comments: