Monday 14 January 2008

Weekly Summary

So, the blog is a few days old and the hunt itself has been going on since before Christmas. Planned to post a daily summary of the jobs I'd applied for, the responses I'd received etc, but spent the weekend in true dole monkey style: getting drunk and watching crap TV. That being the case, it'll have to be a summary of all the jobs I've applied for up until now.

According to a couple of the websites I've registered on I've applied for twenty jobs. I've also applied for at least another half dozen by direct emails/letters, or through the company's websites, so I'd say I'm probably sitting at around thirty applications so far. Responses? Maybe three or four of the usual ones, i.e thanks but no thanks, and a few automated confirmation mails. As for interviews, I've heard rumours of their existence but I'm yet to be convinced. Everyone keeps telling me that something will turn up and I agree with them, but I'm worried that that something will involve sitting in a call centre trying not to tell the Great British Public to go fuck themselves. Chin up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All the hassle and stress of trying to get a job that, chances are, you'll probably end up hating after you've been there a week. Isn't life a bastard?

I say make the most of your non-working time. I envy my brother, the doley, tremendously. He lives the life of a king, albeit a frugal one, at home with our parents. He writes an occasional story for a comic (and has even started getting some published, the bastard). Spends the rest of the time reading, sleeping and trawling the internet for insane conspiracy theories. Lucky git.

Yosser Hughes said...

Exactly. The life of your doley brother sounds fairly similar to mine at the moment (apart from the comics - I can barely draw a stick figure), but I don't think I could cope with living with my parents long term.

Steve Kane said...

Welcome to my world. I feel your pain. I haven't managed to get a permanent job for - ooooh - three years now, three years of getting nowhere even for jobs I am clearly capable of doing.

And so I temp, and I gradually gave up the pursuit of a permanent position. I get by but I wouldn't be able to survive on the dole alone.

Dude, I really don't know why you decided to come back to this... cuntry [sic].

Anonymous said...

He can't draw either (he says he doesn't have the right sort of pencils). He writes the stories which, if a comic-guy likes them, get sent off to an artist (who probably has ample pencils) for the drawing bit.

Easy.